TikTok: What businesses need to know.
TikTok is one of the fastest growing social media platforms in the world. You might have seen a video of a friend lipsyncing or doing a silly dance to a one hit wonder and not even realized it was created in the app.
Tiktok allows users to view and create short videos set to music or custom-made soundtracks with filters and other features. Sometimes they can be informative, disturbing, hilarious, or just down right cringey. One thing is for sure though, it’s addictive!
How to use TikTok
It works with iOS and Android devices and enables the user to be a creator, encouraging them to share their passion and creativity while expressing themselves through short videos. Appealing to so many content creators around the world, no matter the age. The simplicity of using the app is what makes it so attractive.
- TikTok has 500 million active users worldwide
- The TikTok app has been downloaded over 1.5 billion times on the App Store and Google Play
- As of quarter 1 of 2019 TikTok is the most downloaded app on the Apple App Store. The app strongly beats out YouTube, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger!
- 41% of TikTok users are aged between 16 and 24
- TikTok users spend an average 52 minutes per day on the app!!
- TikTok is available in 155 countries and 75 languages
- 90% of all TikTok users access the app on a daily basis
- More than 1 billion videos viewed every day in the last year. Within a year of TikTok’s development, it reached this milestone of 1 million views per day
Why does Tik Tok matter to businesses?
Think about all that screen time you could take advantage of for marketing your product or service! Clearly, we all need to start paying closer attention to this social media platform. Doing more than replacing Vine, or other social media apps, TikTok is becoming a contender for the bigger players in the market such as YouTube, Instagram, or Snapchat.
TikTok is a marketer’s dream attracting millions of viewers worldwide. Some of the ways a brand can use the app is by creating a profile, paying for official TikTok Ads, or simply working with influencers.
TikTok ads are expensive at the moment at a range of $50-$100K so working with a proven relevant TikTok influencer to promote your product seems like the way to go. You can’t include clickable URLs in TikTok video captions, so it makes it a bit difficult to direct traffic to websites from these videos. Another way to advertise in TikTok for brands is by using the app’s unique features and user culture such as creating hashtag challenges, dance challenges, and duets and effects. However, TikTok is still the early stages, and there is no better time to start experimenting with these clever and fun videos.