So, you are creating a Shopify website and need to learn how to create automated collections for your products? Keep reading to find out how we use product tagging to group categories of products easily!
First things first, you will need to create your collection:
- Log in to your Shopify store.
- Click products in the left hand menu.
- Click collections.
- Create collection.
- Name your collection, add a description if you wish (this is not required), and add a collection image if you wish (also not required).
- Make sure your collection type is set to “automated”.
- Set the condition to “product tag must equal *collection name*”. For example, if you are creating a collection for “Women’s Shoes”, your condition should be “product tag must equal women’s shoes”.
Go through and create as many collections as you choose. Don’t worry, you can come back and create more collections at a later date if you think of more that you would like to add.
Secondly, we need to tag our products with the correct tags so that the right products will be added to the right collections.
- Go to products in the left hand menu.
- If you are adding a new product, select “add product”. If you are wanting to add an existing product to a collection, find that product.
- If creating a new product, fill out all of your product information (such as name, description, media, price etc.)
- In the right hand column, you will see a section called “tags”. This is where you will type out all of the collections that you want the product to be added to. You can add a product to multiple collections. For example, you may want to add a pair of women’s shoes to the “Women’s Shoes” collection, as well as the “High Heels” collection. In the tags section on the product you will type out “women’s shoes” click add, and then type out “high heels” and click add.
- Your product will then be added to those collections.
It is really important to make sure that you are typing out exactly what you have set your tag as in the collection. For example, if the tag you have set in the collection is “Women’s Shoes”, and you tag the product with “Womens Shoes” (no apostrophe), the product will not be pulled into the collection.
If you need any help with setting up automated collections on Shopify using tags, feel free to get in touch!